Policies & Standards
Accessibility standards for customer service policy
TVO is committed to providing accessible customer service to all of its customers.
The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (“AODA”) is a provincial act with the purpose of developing, implementing and enforcing accessibility standards in order to achieve accessibility for persons with disabilities with respect to goods, services, facilities, accommodation, employment, buildings, structures and premises.
This policy is drafted in accordance with the Integrated Accessibility Standards (O. Reg. 191/11) and addresses the following:
- the provision of goods and services to persons with disabilities;
- the use of assistive devices by persons with disabilities;
- the use of service animals by persons with disabilities;
- the use of support persons by persons with disabilities;
- notice of temporary disruptions in services and facilities;
- customer feedback regarding the provision of goods and services to persons with disabilities; and
- notice of availability and format of documents.
This policy is supported by procedures which outline the detailed processes and accommodations pursuant to this policy. The supporting procedures include the following:
- Procedures for Customer Service and the Use of Assistive Devices
- Procedures for the Use of Service Animals
- Procedures for the Use of Support Persons
- Procedures for Providing Notice of Temporary Disruptions
- Procedures for Receiving Feedback
Communication with Customers with Disabilities
When communicating with a customer with a disability, TVO will do so in a manner that takes into account the customer’s disability. This may mean providing information in an alternate format such as large print, or it may mean sending an electronic copy of a document that can be read with a screen reader, for example.
The Provision of Goods and Services to Customers with Disabilities
TVO will use reasonable efforts to ensure that the provision of its goods and services are consistent with the following principles:
- TVO’s goods and services are provided in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of customers with disabilities;
- The provision of TVO’s goods and services to customers with disabilities are integrated with those provided to customers who do not have disabilities wherever possible and practical given any situation.
- Customers with disabilities are given an opportunity equal to that of customers without disabilities to obtain, use or benefit from TVO’s goods and services wherever possible.
A customer with a disability may provide their own assistive device for the purpose of obtaining, using and benefiting from TVO’s goods and services. Exceptions may occur in situations where TVO has determined that the assistive device may pose a risk to the health and safety of a customer with a disability or the health and safety of others.
In these situations and others, TVO may offer a customer with a disability other measures to assist him or her in obtaining, using and benefiting from TVO’s goods and services, where TVO has such other measures available.
It is the responsibility of the customer with a disability to ensure that his or her assistive device is operated in a safe and controlled manner at all times.
Where TVO provides goods and services, customers with a disability may enter premises owned and/or operated by TVO, accompanied by a service animal and may keep the service animal with them if the public has access to such premises and the service animal is not otherwise excluded by law. If a service animal is excluded by law, TVO will use reasonable efforts to ensure that alternate means are available to enable the customer with a disability to obtain, use or benefit from TVO’s goods and services.
If it is not readily apparent that the animal is a service animal, TVO may ask the customer with a disability for a letter from a physician or nurse confirming that the customer requires the service animal for reasons relating to his or her disability.
It is the responsibility of the customer with a disability to keep their service animal in control at all times.
TVO, where it provides goods and services, will ensure that a customer with a disability may enter premises owned and/or operated by TVO with a support person and have access to their support person while on the premises.
At times, TVO may require that a customer with a disability be accompanied by a support person while on the premises, where it is deemed necessary to protect the health and safety of the customer with a disability or the health and safety of others on the premises. Fees are not charged for the attendance of a support person.
Notice of Temporary Disruptions in Services and Facilities
TVO is aware that the operation of certain services and facilities is important to customers with disabilities. However, temporary disruptions in services and facilities may occur due to reasons that may or may not be within TVO’s control or knowledge.
TVO will make reasonable effort to provide notice of the disruption to the public, including information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if any, that may be available. TVO will make reasonable effort to provide prior notice of planned disruptions, recognizing that in some circumstances such as in the situation of an unplanned temporary disruption, advance notice will not be possible. In such cases, TVO will provide notice as soon as possible.
When temporary disruptions occur to TVO’s services and/or facilities used by customers with disabilities, TVO will provide notice by posting the information in visible places, or on TVO’s website, or by any other method that may be reasonable under the circumstances, as soon as possible.
TVO will ensure that all persons to whom this policy applies receive training as required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service (Ontario Regulation 191/11).
The content of the training will include, but is not restricted to the following:
- A review of the purpose of the AODA;
- A review of the requirements of the Reg. 191/11: Integrated Accessibility Standards
- How to interact and communicate with customers who have various types of disabilities;
- How to interact with customers with disabilities who require the assistance of assistive devices, service animals, or support persons;
- How to use assistive devices or equipment provided by TVO that may help customers with disabilities to access TVO’s goods and services;
- What to do if a customer with a disability is having difficulty accessing TVO’s goods and services; and
- Instruction on TVO’s policies, procedures and practices pertaining to the provision of goods and services to customers with disabilities.
- Training will be provided as soon as practicable and on an on-going basis as changes are made to TVO’s policies, procedures and practices governing the provision of goods and services to customers with disabilities and to the assistive devices or equipment made available by TVO.
TVO will maintain records of the required training. These records will include the number of individuals trained and the dates on which training occurred. The names of individuals trained will be recorded for administration purposes.
TVO is committed to providing high quality goods and services to all members of the public it serves. Feedback from the public is welcomed as it may identify areas that require change and encourage continuous service improvements.
Feedback from a member of the public about the delivery of goods and services to customers with disabilities may be given by telephone, in person, in writing, in electronic format or through other methods.
Information about the feedback process will be available to the public and notice of the process will be posted on TVO’s website and at all facilities.
Notice of the Availability of Documents
Notice of the availability of all documents required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service will be posted on TVO’s website and may be made available through other communication methods as necessary and practical.
Availability and Format of the Documents Required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service
All documents required by the Accessibility Standards for Customer Service are available upon request.
When providing a document to a customer with a disability, TVO will provide the document, or the information contained in the document, in a format that takes the customer’s disability into account.
This policy applies to all persons who deal with members of the public or other third parties on behalf of TVO, whether the person does so as an employee, agent, volunteer, contractor, consultant or otherwise and all persons who participate in developing TVO’s policies, practices and procedures governing the provision of goods and services to members of the public or other third parties.
Independent Learning Centre Policy ILC104 (Accommodations, Special Considerations and/or Program Modifications)
Providing notice of temporary disruptions
Procedure for Processing Feedback
Revised: May 30, 2022
Next review date: May 30, 2024